Friday 11 March 2016

One Grandma’s Incredible Fight for Medical Marijuana

  • By: Miranda Becker

Cindy is a lot like most grandmas. She’s devoted to her family, dotes on her only grandchild, and is proud of the four kids she raised – one of whom is now a member of the U.S. Armed Services.
Cindy has also been diagnosed with both lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

She’s spent years managing her conditions and trying to find the optimal treatment solution, but it’s been a tough, discouraging road. These days, she takes her chemotherapy pills on Sunday and spends two days incapacitated by nausea, vomiting, headaches and sweats. This weekly ritual of pain and discomfort has gone on for five years – and her doctors say she’ll need to continue chemo for the rest of her life.

When a family member told her that medical marijuana might be able to help relieve her symptoms, that information transformed her from a grandma into an activist.

She began investigating how to sign up to receive medical marijuana, but she uncovered some devastating news: her conditions did not qualify her for marijuana use in her home state of New Jersey.

While Cindy was discouraged, she was also determined to fight for the care she needed.

So in January 2016, Cindy started her first Care2 petition, asking New Jersey to expand its list of qualifying medical conditions — for herself and also for others. Her cause has gained a tremendous amount of support from other Care2 members. In less than six weeks, more than 79,000 people signed her petition and 13,000 shared it on Facebook. Her adamant pursuit of justice has inspired members all over the globe and even lead several news agencies to interview her about her story.

We were so impressed with Cindy’s campaign that we wanted to learn more, so we caught up with her to chat about what drives her activism, how her friends and family feel about her campaign fame, and what it was like starting her first Care2 petition.
Feel free to share your appreciation or questions in the comments!

What inspired you to create your petition? What was it like creating it?
I am sick as you know, and marijuana helps me eat, sleep and deal with everyday pain. Actually, the “what was it like creating it” question has a strange answer. I originally wrote my petition, but Care2 staff reached out to me on their own to help me put the finishing touches on it. After I wrote it, I felt so many things: I was nervous, excited, anxious. I didn’t know if anyone would care about my problems.

What was your reaction when you saw how much attention your petition about medical marijuana received? How did your friends and family react?
My friends couldn’t be happier for me. They feel I deserve access to medical marijuana, though I honestly never told my family. I wasn’t sure how they would react because they don’t believe medical marijuana is acceptable. That’s with the exception of my father, who lost his wife to cancer two years ago. I just didn’t have the heart to tell him. His wife was the one who told me that marijuana helped her. I actually didn’t even tell my father I was on chemo until about six months ago, because I just didn’t have the heart to; it was too painful to make him relive that experience.

But my reaction is just complete and utter shock at the overwhelming support I have received from the Care2 community and the media. I think it’s great and everyone should take a stand if they believe in something!

What issues are you most passionate about and why?
I care about anything to do with children or animals, because they are both helpless and need a voice. I also care about our armed service members, because our men and women are coming home with things like PTSD and anxiety; our service members deserve the top medical care and yet they can’t get it. My oldest child is in the service, so that make this issue hit especially close to home for me. I’m also really passionate about helping anyone who is suffering with an invisible disease (like myself). And obviously I’m deeply concerned about the laws concerning medical marijuana in New Jersey and throughout our country.

How did you find out about Care2? What do you like about being a Care2 member?
I actually stumbled onto Care2 through a Google search! The community here has been absolutely amazing from working with me to helping me improve my petition, to getting my story out there. Since the petition started I have had two stories written about me – one with NJ.com and one with The Star Ledger. Local News 12 said they might also interview me and of course lots of people have been asking if they can blog about it. I couldn’t have asked for a better team if I hired them – they are a caring, helpful and compassionate company and a pleasure dealing with!

If there’s an issue you care about in your community, start your own petition and watch as the Care2 community rallies around your cause!

No comments: